THE PUNCHESTOWN KIDNEY RESEARCH FUND PROJECTS 2015 & 2016
To date the Charity Race has raised just over €1.3 million.
Over the years we have supported a variety of projects such as:
- Purchased a Holiday Home in Tralee, Co. Kerry specifically for kidney dialysis patients. This gives the patient a well -deserved break but also ensures that they are able to continue their life saving dialysis treatments whilst enjoying a holiday.
- Sponsored a Newman Scholar at U.C.D. under the stewardship of Dr. Bill Watson to research better ways to transport kidneys prior to Transplantation.
- Supported a Cancer Screening programme for kidney recipients under Dr. Gillian Murphy, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin.
- Sponsored an Art Therapy programme for dialysis patients in both Tallaght and Waterford Hospitals. This is where art lessons are provided for patients while they are receiving dialysis treatment. A novel idea as it makes treatment more bearable and allows the patients to learn and develop creative skills.
- Sponsored transplant recipients to represent Ireland at the World & European Transplant Games.
- Sponsored the Home Haemo Dialysis Training Unit at Beaumont Hospital, National Transplant Centre, where patients are trained to do their own dialysis in the comfort of their own Home.
2015 & 2016 are really outstanding years for The Punchestown Kidney Research Fund.
We have committed to invest over €275,000 in various kidney related projects:
- €150,000 committed to support a new renal unit at Temple Street Children’s Hospital in Dublin.
- €100,000 committed to support 2 kidney related research projects under the guidance of the Irish Nephrology Society.
- €20,000 committed to continue our Art Therapy programmes for Dialysis Patients in Tallaght & Waterford Dialysis Units.
- €5,000 committed to our Sports Programme for Dialysis & Transplant Patients.